Thursday, August 26, 2010

Not a local yet...

Today 7 girls and myself took a train into downtown Sydney to see the sights and shop a little.

Yeah....that sounds really simple right? Well, little did we know it would be a 2 mile walk just to get to the train station and then another 40 minute ride to get into the city. But, it was all worth it!!

We first walked around "town center" which was really similar to New York City, very busy and urban! We found a place called "Darling Harbor". Is that not the cutest name you've ever heard?! There was a mall, a food court, beautiful fountains, even more beautiful views, and of course more freezing weather. :)

I tried a "Bondi Burger with chili sauce and chips" at the Australian fast food restaurant Oporto's. It was actually really good! Australia is very similar to the United States, they even have Target and McDonalds here! I think that's why it hasn't really hit me that I'm in a different country. I keep thinking I'm just in a different state!

After visiting Darling Harbor we walked to Sydney Harbor (another hour long walk) and marveled at the bridge, beautiful water, and of course the opera house!! I ran up the steps and mimicked Rocky at the top.

By this time it was about 5:30 and the sun was starting to wane, which meant the freeze was coming!! We quickly hopped on the nearest train which was completely packed, (apparently Australians have rush hour on the train instead of the highway) and tried to stay awake during the 40 minute ride home.

By the time we got off the train it was night time and absolutely freezing!!! We briskly walked the 2 miles home and met all of the "new arrivals" before scrounging for the leftover dinner in the kitchen.Now, I am sitting in that basement again, plugged into a wall with my knuckles locking up from the cold updating my blog for you all!

Today I completely turned into a tourist and took a picture of absolutely everything I saw! I got laughed at because I couldn't understand the Australian accent and lingo. And I dared to try a new cuisine. I'm definitely not a local yet, but maybe in a few months I'll feel a little differently :)

G'Night all!

P.S. I've posted pictures on my facebook from my day today with captions explaining!

6 comments:

  1. Clancy-Have read and followed your mom for years, since I am only 41 I shouldn't make it sound like it has been forever! Since her and I are still so very young!

    Sorry, back to you! I am so looking forward to following you on this journey and to see what huge things God has for you on this trip. I will be praying for you!

    Have a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have followed your family for years - always fun adventures! Can I add you as a friend on FB to see the pictures? Wasn't sure how to find you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came from your mom's twitter account as well and enjoyed every word of your blog so far. What's the premise behind this adventure? Is it schooling or evangelistic or something else? I think it's just amazing and brave, and what a beautiful title! I so related to what you said in your first post - a little scared, a little nervous, but mostly just ready. Great homes make excellent launching pads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, I am one of your mum's "followers". And if the "mum" didn't clue you in, then, yep, I am an Aussie. In Sydney too! And like Serenity, I too am wondering what you are planning on doing here! Do you know the girls you are with? I can't wait to read more about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clankkkk!!!!!!! Reading this makes me feel like I am right there with you! I love it! & I love you! Soooo excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ Doing the HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU!!!!!♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

    Maybe a good happy dance will help you stay warm!!!

    Cynthia (http://choiceismine-hupomeno.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete